CHARANJIT SINGH BAKHSHI
Charanjit Singh Bakhshi has over 20 years of legal experience in a wide range of practice areas, including criminal
and civil law, disputes and human rights. Over the years, his passion for a just world and a keen sense of fairness
and empathy has helped establish him as a sought after trusted legal advisor for clients.
Growing up, Charanjit was deeply influenced by the courage and conviction displayed by his late father Shri
Harminder Singh Bakhshi who served the subordinate judiciary, Punjab for 32 years including the tumultuous
years of terrorism in the state. Recognized for the depth of his knowledge, thoroughness and pragmatic approach,
Charanjit is a frequent speaker at leading institutions and is ably representing governments and institutions for
complex and sensitive civil and criminal matters at the highest level.
- Presently serving as Additional Public Prosecutor, U.T., Chandigarh in the Hon’ble Punjab & Haryana High Court.
- Served as Additional Advocate General, Haryana, May 2011 till November 2019. Acquired vast experience representing the State of Haryana before Hon’ble Division Benches and Hon’ble Single Benches for civil and criminal matters. Represented several Boards and Corporations of the State of Haryana such as UHBVN, DHVBN, HVPNL, Municipal Corporations etc.
- Appeared in cases in the High Court of Punjab & Haryana at Chandigarh, High Court of Delhi, High Court of Uttrakhand, High Court of Jharkhand, High Court of Kerala, Extradition cases in New Delhi, Hon’ble Supreme Court of India.
- Appointed as Amicus Curaie in several matters by the Hon’ble High Court of Punjab and Haryana.
- Conducting Criminal Trialsin CBI Court at Mohali and in different districts of Punjab, Hon’ble Punjab & Haryana High Court & Hon’ble Supreme Court of India. Specialised in human rights violation cases in formative years.
- Appointed as a retainer by the Punjab State Civil Supplies Corporation Limited (PUNSUP) and conducted arbitration cases before the arbitrator in the Hon’ble Punjab and Haryana High Court and in the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India. (2007-17)
- Appointed as a retainer by the Punjab Grains Procurement Corporation Limited (PUNGRAIN) and conducted arbitration cases before the arbitrator in the Hon’ble Punjab and Haryana High Court and in the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India. (2007-17)
- Empaneled as an Advocate by the Punjab State Cooperative Supply and Marketing Federation (MARKFED) and conducted cases on its behalf in the Hon’ble Punjab and Haryana High Court. (2001 – till date)
- Represented Shri S.S. Virk, IPS, DGP, Punjab in a long-drawn litigation in several forums and Courts, 2007.
- Fought one of the longest extradition proceedings in the case of Maninder Pal Singh Kohli versus Union of India who was wanted by the UK government, 2004.
- Appointed as Nodal officer of Punjab State Women’s Commission, 2003.
- Filed a petition in the Punjab State Human Rights Commission in his own name for cleaning up the biggest water body in Ludhiana called Buddha Nullah, Ludhiana’s “drain of sorrow,” 2002.
- Guest faculty at the Central Detective Training School, Bureau of Police Research and Development, Ministry of Home Affairs, Chandigarh.
- Guest faculty at the Institute for Correctional Administration, Sector 26, Chandigarh for training police officials from India and abroad.
- Guest speaker for various workshops for police personnel from the states of Haryana, Punjab, Himachal Pradesh and Chandigarh.
- Participated in various conferences in relation to the formulation of the Juvenile Justice Act in the State of Jammu & Kashmir.
- Participated in the Chandigarh Judicial Academy as a member of the Bench in the Moot Competitions.
LEGAL & EDUCATIONAL CREDENTIALS
Enrollment No : 2000 (P/855/2000)
Date of Enrollment : 14.09.2000
Name of Bar Council : Bar Council of Punjab & Haryana, Chandigarh
Educational Qualifications : B.A. (Hons), L.L.B
Date of Birth : 13.03.1976
Languages Spoken : Hindi, English, Punjabi